A great loaf for the holidays
As soon as I saw fresh cranberries at the store, I started dreaming up this loaf. This cake is filled with all my favorite flavors – lemon, almond and cranberry.
When I first baked the loaf, I was so eager to taste it, I couldn’t wait for it to cool so I could glaze it. (Just like these Pumpkin Scones.)
Although it was delicious straight out of the oven, it didn’t nearly compare to the flavor the next day. I added a thick lemon icing that jazzed up the cake. Overnight all the flavors of the loaf came out creating the perfect, moist cake. I hope I get to make this loaf again this holiday season. You should, too 🙂
- 8 ounces lite silken tofu
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, sliced in half
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar, depending on desired consistency
- Juice of 1-2 lemons, depending on desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender, combine silken tofu, oil and lemon juice. Transfer to large bowl.
- Mix in sugar, vanilla and almond extract.
- In measuring cup, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to liquid mixture and mix until smooth.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes. Check after 50 minutes, if getting too brown, cover with aluminum foil.
- Transfer to wire rack and allow to cool.
- Make glaze: Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in small bowl, until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour on cool cake. Allow to set before slicing.