A special pound cake just in time for Valentine’s Day
Who knew you could make a vegan pound cake, much less a red velvet one? Well, you can, and a darn good one, if I do say so. This cake is quintessential Valentine’s and should definitely be made for your loved ones.
The first time I made this as a chocolate pound cake with chocolate chips. It had more of an authentic pound cake flavor – a little dry. For this cake, I wanted it to be loaded with rich red velvet flavor, so I cut down the cooking time. As you can see, there’s a bit of gooeyness at the top of the cake, which I love. If you’re not a fan, add an extra five minutes cooking time.
What is your favorite red velvet treat?
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1.5 tbsp water
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, cream together margarine and sugar.
- In small bowl, combine ground flaxseed and water. Add to sugar mixture, combine.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- In small bowl, combine almond milk, oil and red food coloring.
- Add the dry ingredients and wet ingredients to the sugar mixture, alternating between the two and ending with the liquids.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes for a moister cake or 40 minutes for a done cake. Use a toothpick to judge for doneness.
- Allow to cool in loaf pan. Transfer to wire rack.