A yummy twist on my favorite granola and cake
I love making granola. I make a batch at least once a week. I used to like making different recipes, but usually ended up being disappointed. When you find a good granola recipe, it’s hard to stray from it.
I think everyone has a different favorite granola. The Faux Martha shared her favorite and many other bloggers have, too. I’ve tried many, but none compare to the one I’ve created based off a bag of coconut.
Since last fall, I’ve been dreaming up a Carrot Cake variety. I considered making it like my Holiday Granola, but opted to go with my old standby. With just a couple mix-in swaps, this carrot cake recipe was created.
I simply added some freshly shredded carrot, upped the amount of coconut flakes and kept the number of dried fruit and nuts to a minimum, so as to not overshadow the carrot flavor.
Hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots, about 3 large carrots
- 1 cup shredded coconut, large flake
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, shredded carrots, coconut and pecans.
- In measuring cup, combine maple syrup, canola oil and vanilla.
- Pour into dry mixture and coat completely.
- Spread onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir and flip granola. Add raisins.
- Bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.