An easy vegan ice cream made with coconut milk
So, really all of my recipes are vegan. Did you know that? Sometimes I don’t emphasize it, but I try to make all my recipes vegan without the sometimes nasty vegan substitutes (uhh familiar with using ground flax seed as an egg substitute? Sorry, but I’m not a fan. Applesauce all the way!) I’m not vegan, but I am vegetarian (today’s my 10 month anniversary!)
Really, we can thank my dad for introducing my family to a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. When we first started eating healthier, I freaked out. Trying tofu for the first time, I was a complete baby. Stuck up my nose and wouldn’t try one bite. (I was probably 10 or 12 – not sure.) Now I love it! I would probably be so surprised at the person I’ve become! It’s silken form makes the best cakes/bars (check these babies out – Lemon White Chocolate Bars) & good old extra-firm tofu makes the best dinner ever (I swear you’d love General Tso’s Tofu from Vegetarian Times.)
OK – so why am I ranting about tofu? It’s not even used in this recipe!
On to the task at hand, this super delicious Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream in honor of St. Patrick’s Day! Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite ice cream flavor and I really wanted to replicate a vegan version. I took my tried and true recipe and added a smidge of Creme de Menthe syrup and chopped up a bar of chocolate. The results were amazing! It’s not your typical ice cream, but it’s still pretty delicious.
Hope you have a great St. Patrick’s Day filled with lots of yummy green treats 😉
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Creme de Menthe syrup, like Torani
- 4 oz semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- Bring two cans of coconut milk to a boil.
- Once boiling, add sugar and mix until dissolved. Stir in Creme de Menthe syrup.
- Allow to chill overnight in refrigerator. Once completely chilled, transfer to loaf pan.
- Place coconut mixture in freezer. Every 30 minutes use handheld mixture to beat mixture. Continue to do this for three hours. Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Ice cream can either be eaten right away or left in freezer to completely harden.
- If eating the next day, allow to thaw at least 10 minutes before eating.
More “Green” Treats:
More Vegan Ice Cream: