Zesty cookies topped with a light grape frosting
What’s your opinion on end pieces? Should they be eaten, thrown away, used as a freshness protector?
I hate to waste anything, so I’m on the eaten/use as freshness protector side. – But – I also have one sorta picky eater – who will only eat the freshest/best items. He’ll deny it – but I know it’s true.
I usually sacrifice and eat the end piece, but that’s not good for taste testing purposes. The end piece is typically the driest piece and the least flavorful.
I found a solution though – by splitting it between all the taste testers.
Well, these cookies don’t have that problem – each one is delicious! These are the cousin to the Lemon Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Lemon Buttercream Frosting. A smaller citrus cookie with a dollop of frosting is this girl’s best friend 😉 Although the grape flavor is subtle, it reminds me of a slushy I used to make in the summer – grape juice with lime zest.
Other things I love are giveaways (although I hardly ever win) and birthdays (although I keep mine a secret.)
The beautiful and talented Samantha of Five Heart Home is celebrating her 2nd Blogiversary today! Let’s all celebrate with her by eating lots of these cookies and entering to win a $400 Amazon gift card (enter below!)
Be sure to visit these amazing bloggers that helped make this giveaway possible:
Baking a Moment ~ Carmel Moments ~ Cooking with Curls ~ Cupcake Diaries
Delightful E Made ~ Diary of a Recipe Collector ~ Five Heart Home ~ Flamingo Toes
Happiness is Homemade ~ I Should Be Mopping the Floor ~ illistyle
Joyful Healthy Eats ~ Julies Eats & Treats ~ Just a Girl and Her Blog ~ Kleinworth & Co.
Life Made Sweeter ~ Like Mother Like Daughter ~ Little Miss Celebration
Living Better Together ~ Maison de Pax ~ Mandy’s Recipe Box ~ Pint Sized Baker
Play Party Pin ~ Tastes of Lizzy T ~ The Emotional Baker
The Love Nerds ~ Yummy Healthy Easy
Oh – & last, but not least – the recipe 😉
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Zest of 2 limes, divided
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tbsp grape juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with Silpat or parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine oil, brown sugar and sugar with fork. Once combined, add in lime juice.
- In measuring cup, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold into liquid mixture. Once combined, fold in half of lime zest.
- Form dough into 36 equal balls. Flatten.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes.
- Prepare frosting. Beat shortening. Add in powdered sugar. Beat until small pellets are formed. Add grape juice and beat until fluffy. Spread on cookies and sprinkle with extra lime zest.