Pretzels get a sweet update with cocoa powder, a light glaze and a donut shape
Today is an extra special, donut filled day 😉 It’s baby shower day for Cate from Chez Catey Lou!
Cate always creates the most gorgeous treats. Some of my favorites include:
Cate, I know you must be so excited to meet your little girl. Enjoy every moment. Sending you and your family lots of love 🙂
When Zainab contacted me about participating in this baby shower I was thrilled – especially with the donut theme. I’ve always wanted to make a traditional donut. I’ve only made baked donuts. This time I was intent on frying up a batch. But – I was low on canola oil. Let’s be honest, this was probably for the best. Knowing me I would’ve caught the kitchen on fire – eek!
So, I settled for an old favorite – pretzels! I took my favorite pretzel recipe and revamped it to be more donut-ty! These were so delicious. They were a great treat without being overly sweet.
What’s your favorite type of donut to make?
- 2.25 tsp active dry yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 10 cups boiling water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- Sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, water and sugar. Allow to sit five minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine flour, cocoa powder and salt. Add to liquids.
- Once combined, add oil. Knead for five minutes.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl and allow to rise one hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll into balls and use finger to make a hole in the middle. Allow to rise 30 minutes.
- Towards the end of rising time, bring water and baking soda to boil.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly coat with oil.
- Boil donuts one at a time for 30 seconds each. Place on prepared baking sheet and top with oil and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Combine powdered sugar and boiling water. Drizzle on hot donuts and top with sprinkles if desired.
Check out all the other awesome Donut Treats:
Baked Dark Chocolate Strawberry Donuts – Club Narwhal
Baked Lemon Donuts – What Jessica Baked Next
Biscoff Donuts – Baking a Moment
Chai Donuts – Fresh April Flours
Chocolate Cake S’mores Donuts – Jessica in the Kitchen
Chocolate Pretzel Donuts – The Emotional Baker
Coconut Matcha Donuts with White Chocolate Glaze – Blahnik Baker
Coffee and Donuts Breakfast Bake – The Cookie Rookie
Doughnut Tiramisu – bethcakes
GF Lemon Donuts with Raspberry Glaze – Thoroughly Nourished Life
Maple Glazed Donut Holes – Hall Nesting
Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake Donuts – American Heritage Cooking
Paleo Chocolate Frosted Donuts – A Clean Bake
Raspberry Jam Filled Cupcakes – gotta get baked
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Donut Breakfast Sandwich – Shared Appetite
Strawberry Margarita Oreo Donuts – Life Made Sweeter
Baked Mini Samoa Donuts – Culinary Couture
Donut Holes with Sweet Strawberry Dipping Sauce – Twin Stripe